Saturday, February 27, 2010

Bathroom Break

Saturday, February 27th, I had a Stake Leadership meeting from 10am-12pm.

Because I was in the meeting I turned my phone to silent. At the end of the meeting I noticed I had two emails from Tom and a few missed calls from him as well. The first email I read said, (I'm quoting the actual emails)"Can you come home early? Cole locked me in the bathroom and this door knob locking mechanism is broken on the inside.
And cole has already gotten the milk out and who knows what else."

Ahh...before even reading the 2nd email I started panicking. That had been over an hour ago! I had to go and NOW!!

I carpooled with two other sisters and so while I was in the process of telling our ride that we NEEDED TO GO I decided I had better read the 2nd email. "Nevermind I just got out. I got cole to slide a spoon under the door and I dug a tunnel under the door. :)
Actually I just used it to pry back the door latch."

PHEW!!

Once we left I called to get the story. I have NOT laughed that hard in a long time. I had tears it was so funny!

This is the story.

Cole was opening and closing the bathroom door to our half bath when one of the times closing it he accidentally got the door locked, locking Tom and Avery in.

I should explain that most of our doors have the locks on the outside so we can lock them and Cole can't get into rooms he shouldn't be in while nobody is in there with him. Don't ask, it's just easier that way.

So here they are locked in this teeny room(about 4ft by 8ft) right at Avery's nap time. Sounds like fun doesn't it!?

Anyway, as it say's in Tom's email, the knob locking mechanism is broken on the inside, so he couldn't just jab a nail or sharp object in the little hole and unlock the door.

Cole was left on the other side to rule over the house. That is a scary thing. Tom kept trying different ways to get out. He tried a tightly rolled up piece of cardboard in latch. He used The spring inside the toilet paper holder to see if that would do anything. He found a shim behind the cabinet and tried that. He found a DVD from a manual under the sink and tried that on the latch. He used the lid of the toilet tank to try and bust open the door or break the knob. With that he ended up putting a big dent and crack in the door so he decided to stop with that. Since they were in such a small cramped space he couldn't get a running start to break the door down so that wouldn't work, but he still tried. What to do, what to do.

He figured they were going to be in there for a while so he used the towels to make pillows and tried to get Avery to take a nap. No luck. He couldn't fall asleep either.

As he was trying to make an escape Cole kept bringing things to the door. At one point Tom looked under the door and Cole had grabbed the unopened gallon of milk and was standing on it to help boost himself up to try and unlock the door. GOODNESS, what a mess that would have been! He brought over a cup and a single packet of hot chocolate mix hoping his papa would make him some chocolate milk. Then a spoon, Ahh... yes a spoon!!

About 15 min. later they were out. Although they were in there for an hour and a half!

Seriously the funniest thing I have heard in a long time!


8 comments:

Unknown said...

OH my! Dayna! That's the funniest thing I have ever heard! What a great story.

Not so much for Tom though...

Rod Stratton said...

Ahahahahahaha. That's hilarious! I can't believe Tom didn't tell me about that.

Tom, you're like McGuyver, only a little less successful. How do you get a door unlocked with a spoon?

Nick & Che` said...

Holy cow!! That is HILARIOUS!! Ony an Engineer would know how to get out with just a spoon ;) Cole, what a cutie! All he wanted was some chocolate milk ;)

Rachel said...

Ha, ha! That is too funny. Hopefully Tom can laugh about it now!

Unknown said...

:)

I actually felt like McGuyver when i was trying to get out! (minus one mullet and a bomb that is about to explode)

And if you guys don't know the old spoon opening the door trick by now i'm not going to let you in on the secret. HaHa!

it was pretty funny though!

Monika said...

HILARIOUS!

Giff and Shirelle said...

That is so hilarious! Holy cow, that is classic and do you only wish that whole hour and a half could have been video-taped! That is so funny! What a ingenious husband thinking of all those things he tried! lol...So funny!

Kristin Call said...

AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Mike and I were laughing SO hard!! This was hilarious! "Cole already got the milk out, and who knows what else", lol! I am SOOO glad you poted this story.